Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Thank God for Fleas!

No, not Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers who I blogged about here.
I've moved on to the little annoying bugs.
Just the thought of them makes me itch.
(I bet some of you just got the desire to scratch your head too...You're welcome.)

While you're digging your nails into your scalp, here is something to think about...
A few years ago, my mom shared with me about a woman named Corrie ten Boom.
Corrie was a prisoner in a Jewish concentration camp who survived to write about her experience.
In one of her books, she shared how her sister (who was in the camp with her) would thank God for EVERYTHING - even the lice and fleas that were biting them and infesting their lives. Her sister had such a pure faith in God that she knew He could use EVERY difficulty for His Glory.

Corrie thought she was crazy. (I COMPLETELY understand that thinking.)

After the war, Corrie found out that the lice and fleas WERE indeed a gift from God.
Because of those lice and fleas, the soldiers stayed away from the women who lived in that part of the compound. The women could worship God each night without being killed or punished. They were able to go about their work without being harassed or raped by the soldiers. The enemy would not come near them - all because of the lice and the fleas. Her sister was RIGHT to thank God for those miserable little bugs.

Mind. Blown.
As I look back at the darkest parts of my life...I can see how I grew through the difficulties.
I can see how they changed me, made me stronger, and pruned away parts of me that were not focused on God. (yes, there is still pruning to be done)
Most of all, I look back and see how God has always been WITH me.

So why, in the middle of the pain, when I feel like I'm drowning, or when I'm covered with lice and fleas...do I often forget that God has a plan for my life? I forget to thank God for the rough moments. I forget to sit on the edge of my seat and wait anxiously for what HE is going to do with those hardships and how HE is going to bring light out of darkness.

No matter what I'm going through today, I want to thank God for the opportunity. If Corrie's sister could be a starving prisoner eaten by bugs and PRAISE God, I'm sure I can live my blessed life and thank God for every breath I take (even if it has a little wheeze in it).

Do me a favor, won't you? Remind me of this if you hear me complaining.
God is in control. He is bigger...ESPECIALLY bigger than tiny ol' lice and fleas.

1 comment:

You don't even have to raise your hand...just shout it out.